Extraordinary claims. Ordinary investigations.

"Ningen": a bizarre Japanese cryptid

ningencryptid32

Behold the “Ningen“. Meaning literally “Human“, it’s allegedly a very large unknown animal sighted by Japanese fishers, which bares an uncanny resemblance to us. Not only a face, but other reports include even arms and hands.

Continue reading for more pictures and even videos. All artistic illustrations, but being Japanese, they are extremely nice, and as imagined sea monsters, they sure are terrifying.

ningenAL

One could speculate that a sea creature, even a known one, could be mistaken for a “Ningen”. Skates and rays, for instance, have nostrils and mouths that look like a face. In fact, they look so “human” that they are often mistaken or sold as devils or extraterrestrials — and Japanese fishers know that for centuries.

ray

But the Ningen is allegedly 20 to 30 meters in length. And we may not even have to bother considering it very seriously, because this cryptid seems to be nothing more than a modern Internet legend.

There are no verifiable names for the alleged sightings. In fact, there are no names nor actual sightings, only vague reports that the creature was seen near the Antarctic Ocean. From the artistic interpretations in this page, you can also see that its appearance is pretty much up to the artist’s imagination.

Acknowledging that, though, we can appreciate what’s surely a nice modern version of the old sea monsters legends. Here are some more illustrations:

NingenW1

NingenW2

And the videos. Not very impressive, but interesting nevertheless:

Maybe Loren Coleman over at Cryptomundo could tell if such descriptions of sea monsters resembling humans is actually old, and this is just a repackaging. I suspect it is, afterall, mermaids are in a way related cryptids. Maybe the size detail is the only difference.

Almost all the graphics on this post were taken from this Japanese page.

All your Ningen needs may be supplied by searching on Google. In Japanese, of course: look for “????“.

UPDATE: Some more creepy pics. In case it’s not clear yet, this is little more than pure imagination (the “little more” part is that some people claim it’s real, which doesn’t make it any less unreal).

sokotourimasuyodsa

minamihito2

ningen-thumbdsa

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Popularity: 47% [?]

Posted in Criptozoology | 63 comments

63 Comments so far

  1. fistkick December 5th, 2010 4:51 am

    That thing IS real its been on tv youtube and I have a friend that was almost killed by it
    ps it doest look like a giant head he said it looked like a eel with arms and a head

  2. robbie December 11th, 2010 1:10 pm

    think about this. less than 10% of the worlds oceans and seas have been explored. that leaves 90% unknown

  3. SEELE 01 text only December 13th, 2010 5:03 am

    Third impact.

  4. jonny5 September 13th, 2011 1:35 am

    looks like something from the movie from the 80s called abyss

  5. Cryptozoology « Wandering American October 8th, 2011 3:52 am

    […] the Sasquatch (bigfoot) and it’s regional variants like the Yeti, Skunk Ape and Grassman. The Japanese Ningen. The Chupacabra. A statue of the ethereal Mothman. Giant Squid. Remains of mystery sea creature, […]

  6. JustAGuy October 8th, 2011 9:51 pm

    I wonder if they would be predatory or docile like whales?

  7. […] itu ? Atau kalian menganggapnya sebagai hoax ? ┬áberikut adalah videonya : (pinktentacle.com, forgetomori.com) Share this:TwitterFacebookEmailPrintLinkedInStumbleUponTumblrRedditDiggLike this:LikeBe the first […]

  8. Abdulla February 16th, 2012 5:01 am

    very interesting but dont you think that the first picture is just a giant huge guitar fish ?

  9. shadowpure April 4th, 2012 1:14 pm

    Better get the pokeballs ready!

  10. lua April 4th, 2012 10:43 pm

    I hope it isn’t fake…it wouldn’t be fun :/

  11. limonar lipas February 13th, 2013 5:13 am

    I wonder if they can also eat humans?

  12. pilopha decas February 13th, 2013 5:17 am

    Why these kinds of animals exist in these world?

Leave a reply

Live Comment Preview